Thanks to all who participated in this year’s garage sale day. So, what to do with any items that didn’t get sold?
The “Shelter to Home” is a ministry of Highlands United Church that provides furniture and household goods to North Shore people transitioning from homelessness to independent living. Their volunteers accept donations of clean goods in good condition. For more details, click read more…
From their donation criteria sheet:
Shelter to Home
Our MOTTO: We pass on furniture and house hold goods only if they are clean and in good condition. We have no facility or funds to clean and repair furniture.
Volunteers operate the program in a small, rented storage unit, the size of a 3 car garage. There are times when it is filled to capacity and we cannot accept donations.
Donations: If you wish to donate furniture or household goods, please call Ruth Kershaw at 604-929-0421 and leave a message. A volunteer will return your call and arrange for a convenient time to visit and select those items suitable for our clients. If possible, the volunteer will take smaller items with them and arrange for larger items to be picked up. It is a significant help if you can bring your donation to us. If not, we have to pay a moving contractor from our limited funds. Donations are requested to help offset transportation costs and receipts will be issued for donations of $20 or more.
Our needs: Most of our clients are men moving to small accommodations.
- Couches preferably dark, plain, no longer than 84 inches. We cannot accept floral prints or hide-a-beds except if a client has specifically requested these.
- Love seats
- Comfortable chairs
- Coffee tables
- End tables
- Floor lamps
- Table lamps for living room and bed room
- Kitchen/Dinette Tables no larger than 48 inches in diameter or 48 inches long
- Kitchen/Dinette table Chairs
- Small bookcases, small desks
- Box springs, mattresses and metal bed frames. We don’t have storage space for head and foot boards. We need twin, double and queen-size beds.
- Bed side tables
- Dressers chest of drawers no wider than 42 inches. We have no storage space for mirrors.
- TVs and TV stands, DVD players small and medium TVs only please (under 24 inches)
- Radios, Clocks and Clock-radios
- Portable microwaves
- Bed Linen
- Twin, double and queen-size sheet sets. It helps greatly if you label them as sets ( top sheet, bottom fitted sheet & pillow cases).
- Twin, double and queen-size blankets and comforters
- Pillows and protective pillow slips
- Towel sets Bath towel, hand towel, face cloths. Helpful if wrapped in sets. Packages of new face cloths.
- Dish towels and cloths
- Shower curtains and hooks
- sets of 4 (plate, side plate, bowl, mug or cup)
- sets of 4
- Drinking glasses
- Electric kettles, toasters, and coffee pots
- Pots and pans
- Mixing bowls, cookie sheets, cake pans, wooden spoons, spatulas, measuring cups and spoons
- Kitchen Utensil sets
- egg flipper, serving spoons, potato masher, can opener, peeler, sharp knives
- Tea pots
- Casserole dishes small and medium
Unfortunately we have no room to store carpets, art work, dining room sets, entertainment units, fine china or crystal, over stuffed furniture.